The Apennine cycle route and other low-cost cycle routes
- Wednesday, October 13, 2021
- 10:30 - 11:30
- BeActive Arena - Pav. A4
- Massimo Scendoni Founder of the Tourist Association "Le Marche Experience"
- Carlo Cascione Founding partner, Salento Bici Tour
- Matilde Atorino Via Silente Association
- Enrico Della Torre General Director of Vivi Appennino
- Liviana Zanetti President of the Romagna-Tuscany system and Councillor for Tourism of Castrocaro Terme
- Sebastiano Venneri National Head of “Tourism, sea and innovation” at Legambiente
Italy has a multitude of minor roads with little traffic and underused dirt roads that could give rise to new cycle routes with low infrastructure costs. The Appennino Bike Tour Campaign, launched by Viviappennino and Legambiente in summer 2021, promoted the Apennine cycle route, which was created on existing roads, but Italy has many others. Here, we provide an overview of current and completed projects, and also consider what is needed in regions to properly accommodate bicycle tourists.